Category Archives: vLog

vLog 4

vLog 3


SOoo happy!


Family Day

Today is Family day. One of the few things Dalton McGuinty did right… but this isn’t a political blog so let’s get back to the topic at hand. R2!

With the day off, and Ange having to work, I figured I could probably get some good headway on R2.

I started off by cutting all of the dome panels off.

panelsAs you can see I’ve numbered every part in order to know where it goes after I’ve painted them, and done all the work to the inner dome.

After cutting these off, I had to get rid of all the burs from the laser cutting. To do this, I used a chisel and … hey wait a sec. Instead of reading this, why don’t you watch this short video I’ve made?

So as you can see I’ve worked on the Radar Eye, the Lens and cleaned up the dome panels.

Radar Eye Back


This is the cleaned up Radar Eye. As mentioned, I used my Dremel to clean it up and it made a mess even standing over a running Vacuum Cleaner. I’d HIGHLY suggest doing this outdoors (if it isn’t too cold)






This is the Christmas Ornament from Michael’s. It comes in two parts. What I did was stuck it in the Radar Eye, then used a permanent marker to outline where it fit. Then used a Plastic Cutting disk on the Dremel to cut it down to size. I’m not going to permanently attach it to the Radar Eye yet, as it needs to be painted.




Tinted Lens




As mentioned in the video, I tinted the lens, using Future Floor Wax, mixed with a black acrylic paint. A few coats with the airbrush and voila a darker, still see through lens



Radar Eye



Here’s the lens in the Radar Eye… purdy!






Well, that’s alot of work, but it’s not all I did. I also FINALLY finished soldering all the LEDs on the Rear Display. I started that almost a year ago, but now it’s done. I still have some soldering left, but it’s only headers, a few LEDs here and there, nothing that would take as much time as what I’ve done to date.

Next up… Starting to cut into the inner dome… Or work on the sound system.


Update to the last post. I ended up finding out that the Sparkfun MP3 Shield won’t work with the libraries I’m using and would probably conflict with some of the servos. SO I contacted Robotshop and they gladly special ordered the MP3 Trigger that I actually need and RMA’d the shield. This is awesome!

Also, I have a dome topper on the way and a Power Converter board (and I didn’t even have to go to Toshi Station :))
But I think the coolest news is that I’m getting some foot drives. These drives use scooter motors with a chain, which should be awesome. So now, all R2 is missing to start moving around is legs and a centre ankle… well and a battery of course.