Monthly Archives: May 2014

ComicCon is over :(

All this work and the con went by in the blink of an eye.

We had a team show up on Thursday afternoon, and as expected it took little to no time to assemble.

Set up

Set up

Jail

Jail

jail

Dirty Scum

I wanted to have Dianoga, or as he’s been affectionately named Blinky in a toilet… the toilet build failed, so we decided to turn him into a piss pot monster 🙂

dianoga

Dianoga

Here is a view of the Tatooine set. I have to say it came out way nicer than I expected and people loved it. As big as it was, it felt smaller on the con floor. Rob M brought a menagerie of aliens to help decorate, as well as several R2 builders brought their droids. People seemed to love the more practical set over the backdrops we used in the past.

tatooine

Tatooine

And here’s a view of the whole set area.

set

The Legion Experience

 

It was A LOT of work, it was stressful, I got tired and frustrated, but over all it was fun. I can’t wait for next year. Hopefully I’ll be able to take things in and enjoy more of what the con has to offer.

Pretty much done

Wow haven’t had a chance to post cause of all the work I put into Comic Con lately.

But I pretty much finished my Sandtrooper build. Yes, I know, I’ll never be DONE, but it was close enough to be able to suit up for the con.

As I was completing the bucket, I brought it to work. Actually ended up wearing it to a meeting.

Bucket at work

Bucket at work

I’m actually quite proud of how it turned out. I still need to add the fans, but damn that’s one sexy dude!

That night, I got home and tried to put on the armour… WOW that’s hard to do on your own.

I started with the garter and thighs, then realized I could put the boots on, so I unsnapped them and lowered the thighs, only to topple over. I then put on the ab plate and the back parts. Once these were on, I could bend to put the shins on. Then the fight with the shoulders started. Finally once everything was done, the chest popped off and well… I got frustrated. But it was good to give me an idea.

Test Run

Test Run

But I ended up looking ok for the con.

Sexy trooper

Sexy trooper

All in all it was fun. I still have some work to do on the thighs, fix the shins that I ended up breaking. Getting better pouches and then the work on the gun and backpack.

Getting Dirty

Awww yeah… getting dirty!

Needed a break from cutting and sanding and snapping so I started weathering the armor.

I’m using a technique described by PandaTrooper. I basically start by sponging on a Burnt Umber all over the piece and let it dry a bit.

Mud Trooper?

Mud Trooper?

Once it’s dry, I take a face cloth and soak it, then wring it out and start wiping off most of the paint.

Wiped off

Wiped off

More dirty armor

More dirty armor

So last night I got most of this first coat on the upper armor. I still have to sand the ABS sludge I put on the kidney plate, before starting it.

Upper Armor

Upper Armor

Once this is done, and I glue the thighs, I can start on the next stage.

The next step, is to mix 1/3 Burnt Umber, 1/3 Black and 1/3 Warm Grey and start sponging that on. This will give the desert oil look. Again, I’ll be wiping most of it off.

But as I said, I still have to glue the back of the thighs, sand the kidney plate, add the snaps on the kidneys and glue the hand guards to the gloves.
Then I can start painting the helmet, and add the lens and screen.

It’s going to be close, but I just might finish everything for Saturday’s troop.