Getting Dirty

Awww yeah… getting dirty!

Needed a break from cutting and sanding and snapping so I started weathering the armor.

I’m using a technique described by PandaTrooper. I basically start by sponging on a Burnt Umber all over the piece and let it dry a bit.

Mud Trooper?

Mud Trooper?

Once it’s dry, I take a face cloth and soak it, then wring it out and start wiping off most of the paint.

Wiped off

Wiped off

More dirty armor

More dirty armor

So last night I got most of this first coat on the upper armor. I still have to sand the ABS sludge I put on the kidney plate, before starting it.

Upper Armor

Upper Armor

Once this is done, and I glue the thighs, I can start on the next stage.

The next step, is to mix 1/3 Burnt Umber, 1/3 Black and 1/3 Warm Grey and start sponging that on. This will give the desert oil look. Again, I’ll be wiping most of it off.

But as I said, I still have to glue the back of the thighs, sand the kidney plate, add the snaps on the kidneys and glue the hand guards to the gloves.
Then I can start painting the helmet, and add the lens and screen.

It’s going to be close, but I just might finish everything for Saturday’s troop.

Leave a Reply