Eye can see clearly now!

Forgot to mention that I also started work on the painting. Ange was worried on the color, she’s so hard set on R2-D2 accuracy, so I started off with a test piece. I used an old damaged Radar Eye (that I might end up using on R4). The method I’m going to describe is what the club refers to as Krider Blue

This Radar Eye has been sanded and glazed and sanded in the past (you can see the pics of that in older posts)

So I primed it with a grey filler primer just to make sure there’s no more little imperfections. Once dry I used a Rostoleum Metallic Purple rattle can on it. This is a purple that the astromech club has been using but seems to be discontinued in the US. Well Home Depot here seems to still carry it.

Purple Base

Purple Base

This purple lays on the base we need and adds the sparkles and shine that we’re used to seeing on R2-D2.

Once this is dry (unfortunately I touched the upper right hand corner before it was dry, which caused a divet) I apply a coat of Duplicolor Iodized Blue. This blue is actually hard to hard to find here. The only place I’ve seen it is Part Source. I’ll have to snag more cans in case they actually sell out.

Blue Overcoat

Blue Overcoat

While the paint was still wet, I started worrying. This paint is supposed to be see through and I couldn’t see any of the sparkles anymore.

Dried Blue

Dried Blue

But as you can see once dry, the sparkle comes out. I submitted this piece to Ange for her approval and now I can start painting as needed. Think the Ankle Details and possibly the Large Data Port are next.

Leave a Reply